Recent Beth Israel News:
Many significant events have occurred in the past year or are about to happen here at Beth Israel!
Here are some of the highlights:
- New Events and News
- Kabbalat Shabbat Services Friday June 21st! For details click here.
- AbeFest Spring Film Event: ‘Inside My Heart’. Thursday June 20th! For details click here.
- Kabbalat Shabbat Services Friday June 14th! For details click here.
- Annual General Meeting: June 4th, 7:00 p.m.! For details click here.
- May is National Jewish Heritage Month in Canada. Click the main menu item on this website entitled ‘National Jewish Heritage Month’ or click here for more details.
- Max Eisen’s book entitled ‘By Chance Alone’ gets top honors at the 2019 CBC Canada Reads. For details about this wonderful and well deserved accomplishment click here.
- International Autism Awareness Day: A Father’s Perspective on Schooling a Son with Autism. Tuesday, April 2, 2019. Our own Joe Teichman presents his insights. Click here for details. The event poster can be found here.
- News: A call for an autism therapy centre in Peterborough by Beth Israel member. Article presented in the Peterborough Examiner. Click here for details.
- Passover (Pesach) Community Seder – April 20th. Please complete registration form by April 5th. Click here for more details. Click here for the form.
- Abraham Festival Events. The Peterborough Abraham Festival Committee which includes members of Beth Israel Synagogue have been very active in providing the Peterborough Community with a spectrum of multi-faith insights. April 28th is a special day for this. Click here for details.
- A Yom Hashoah V’Hagvurah Community Commemoration will take place on Wednesday, May 1st, 7:00 p.m. at Shaarei Shomayim Congregation (470 Glencairn Ave). The event is presented by the Sarah and Chaim Neuberger Holocaust Education Centre of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto and this year, we will commemorate the Shoah through film, music, and readings from the Megillat Ha’Shoah. In the spirit of community collaboration, the program includes multiple voices reflecting on the memory of the Holocaust and participation from various groups.
- Recent Past Events
- Kabbalat Services! Thanks to Dr. Dan and all the volunteers for making these events happen for our Beth Israel Community!
- Purim – celebrate with the monthly Children’s Program at Beth Israel!! Saturday, March 9th. Click here for more details.
- Saturday, February 9th: Many Windows, One Light 2019: Towards a Caring and Welcoming Community. The Mount Community Centre and the Beth Israel Congregation is a partner in presenting an inspired afternoon of participatory dialogue and story sharing on the best local, proactive responses to hate. The goal is to discover synergies and next steps among activists, community leaders and groups doing work on these issues. Pre-registration is required. Click here for more details.
- The Beth Israel/Unitarian Fellowship choir (aka Unigogue Singers) to be at UFP service on Sunday, January 13 (10:00 a.m.). Click here for more details.
- In honour the victims of the Pittsburgh Tree of Life Synagogue victims:
- Kabbalat Shabbat services set for October, November AND December!! Go to our Calendar page. Click here.
- Holocaust Education Week (Nov. 1 – 8) is to include Holocaust survivor Max Eisen returning to Peterborough on Nov. 8th. Click here.
- BIS/UFP Refugee Sponsorship event on Nov. 9th. Click here.
- The Lirit Women’s Chamber Choir to be at Beth Israel Nov. 10th. An honour, a treat and its free. Click here.
- Mini Cheder at Beth Israel. Looking for interested parents, and kids of course. Click here.
- Recent News page items
- Who was recently on CHEX-TV talking about Chanukah? One of our very devoted members. Have a look-see. Click here.
- Peterborough Peace Council vigil for tragic events at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. Click here.
- N’Abling given a true meaning at the JCC Peterborough. Click here.
- Recognition of Holocaust survivor Max Eisen with honorary doctorate from Trent University.
- Holocaust survivor Max Eisen confronted with heinous act of anti-semitism yet again.
- Notes from the June 2018 Beth Israel AGM.
- High Holy Days Schedule for 5779!!
Please see our Calendar and Activities page for upcoming and past events.
Please see our JCC Peterborough News page for more news items of interest.
WELCOME TO THE J.C.C.
The Jewish Community Centre of Peterborough welcomes you to its virtual home! We hope our website will give you good reason to visit our real home of mortar and bricks and to enjoy our friendly hospitality.
For the past few years we have opened wide our doors to numerous Not for Profit organizations, and Charities in the region for use of our space. We especially make our rates very affordable to the Not for Profit Sector, and enjoy a great relationship to those groups who exhibit unique contributions to working with those persons of any age, with “Special Needs” in the region.
We as well make our facilities available to numerous other organizations for use, such as fundraising events, film nights, staff and parent training workshops, music/dance rehearsals, even recital competitions and other community groups involved in the Arts and music scene.
In regards to the Beth Israel Congregation, we are an egalitarian (modern-reformed) motivated by a spectrum of community interests and spiritual aspirations, and pride ourselves on realizing not only meaningful Jewish experiences, but those of other denominations and cultures.
If you or your group would like to tour or receive more information on the possible use of our modern and clean facilities, please do not hesitate to contact our General Manager “Joe Teichman” via email at, firstname.lastname@example.org